Monday 13 May 2013

Mother's Day

Every Mother's Day for the past twenty one years of my life has consisted of a card or something else that was relatively simple. Since my Granny's Alzheimer's is progressing rapidly and my mother is a goddamn saint who deserves more than a card on the only day out of the year set to celebrate her role in my life I wanted to throw a party for them, the two women who I owe my entire world to. My Granny's birthday is also May 14th so it was sort of a joint party for that celebration as well.

Crepe flowers
So about a month ago I grabbed my crafty husband and a cup of coffee and a few pins later we had decided on decor and the theme of the soiree. We spent hours making flowers out of crepe paper and a beautiful flower arch(which we completely forgot about and never put up). We thought that just having a grazing lunch with a few appetizers (with something meaty and hearty for my grandfather) was the best idea so it wouldn't crowd my Granny's mind with a bunch of options on her plate. I have been collecting tea cups and pots for a little while now and thought having an outdoor spring tea party would be a beautiful idea. I had planned on making teapot shaped cookies and as I tried the night before they burned a few times before I threw the dough away and decided on picking up everything at the market the next day and calling it good. The weather was also not cooperating with our outdoor tea party idea so we scratched it, brought the party indoors and bought a lot of food at our lovely weekend market.



The day of my darling Aunt Sara came into town! It's been a few weeks since I've seen her so I was very excited she was able to come. I also rarely have weekend days off so it all worked out really nicely. I asked her to pick up flowers for Granny so she brought a beautiful bouquet of peonies for her and a bouquet of parrot tulips for my mum! They were all gorgeous and I was very thankful since I had forgotten flowers for my mum...I wanted to take lots of pictures of my family as I feel we don't have enough so I set up the timer on my camera and after many, many pictures we caught quite a few funny ones that express each of our personalities so well.

It was a great day and we all had so much fun. My Granny left me saying "This was the best day. Well, maybe not the best day but it was fun." So I took her honesty to heart and smiled.

My mum is a wonderful and strong person. She's everything anyone could ever ask for in a mum and I'm glad she enjoyed the day devoted to her.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful celebration full of beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete